Private Pilot Training
Learning to fly is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things you’ll ever do. To get started, you can take a Discovery Flight, where you’ll go up with one of Lanier Flight Center’s fine instructors and see what it’s like to fly a plane for yourself.
Your next step will be to jump into your private pilot flight training with one of our top notch, experienced instructors. As a Cessna Pilot Center, your instructor and the Cessna Flight Training System curriculum will ensure that you learn everything that you need to know to be a safe, confident pilot.
In the 1950s, the FAA determined the minimum requirement for a Private Pilot Certification to be 40 hours of total flight time. Since then, the nation’s airspace, navigation/communication systems, weather reporting services and aircraft systems have increased dramatically in complexity. Today, the national average of flight time before Private Pilot certification is around 75 hours.
Lanier Flight Center students earn their certifications in an average 53 hours of total flight time, which represents a huge time and cost savings over the national average. We attribute this high quality performance to several factors:
- Our instructors are dedicated, full-time professionals who work under the close supervision of senior pilots who have thousands of hours of airline experience.
- Our fleet is virtually brand new and upgraded as needed to provide more than enough planes for the students/club members we serve.
- Our maintenance is done right on the field at Gainesville by top-notch FAA certified mechanics. Everything works, all the time. Safety and high quality training are our highest priorities and this commitment to excellence is reflected in our maintenance standards.
What it takes to earn a Private Pilot Certification:
Total Time: 40 hours minimum which consists of at least:
Dual: 20 hours minimum of flight training with an instructor on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:
- 3 hours of cross country flight training in a single engine airplane;
- 3 hours of night flight training in a single engine airplane, that includes at least:
a) 1 cross country flight of over 100 nm total distance; and
b) 10 T/O’s and 10 landings to a full stop with each involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport.
- 3 hours of flight training by reference to instruments in a single engine airplane; and
- 3 hours of flight training in a single engine airplane within the 60 days prior to the practical test.
Solo: 10 hours minimum of solo flying in a single engine airplane on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:
- 5 hours of solo cross country flying;
- 1 solo cross country flight of at least 150nm total distance with full stop landings at 3 points and one segment of at least 50nm between T/O and landings; and
- 3 T/O’s and landings to a full stop at an airport with an operating control tower.
Private Pilot Certificate Estimated Costs
|Item||Prepay Rate**||Club Rate*||Walk-In Rate|
|53 Hours Avg Flight Time in a 172SP (Incl Tax)
|40 Hrs Flight Instruction||$1,960.00||$2,160.00||$2,360.00|
|20 Hrs Ground Instruction||$980.00||$1,080.00||$1,180.00|
|Standard Headset Rental, 53 Hrs, $5 Hr||$265.00||$265.00||$265.00|
|Cessna CBI Private Pilot Kit (Incl Tax)||$293.80||$293.80||$352.03|
|One-time Club Membership Initiation Fee||$100.00||$100.00||–|
|One-time Insurance Sign-up Fee||$50.00||$50.00||$50.00|
|Miniumum 10 Hrs Solo Insurance Coverage||$30.00||$30.00||$30.00|
|Nine Months Estimated Monthly Club Dues
|FAA Charts, Airport Facilities Directory||$31.50||$31.50||$35.00|
|FAA Medical Exam||$90.00||$90.00||$90.00|
|FAA Written Exam||$150.00||$150.00||$150.00|
|FAA Checkride Examiner’s Fee||$375.00||$375.00||$375.00|
|Total Cessna 162 Skycatcher – Light Sport
|Total Cessna 172SP
|Total Cessna 172SP G1000
* For more information about our club, see the Flying Club page
** Prepay discounts are offered to our club members who place a $2,500 deposit into their accounts and then maintain at least a $250.00 balance. If the account balance drops below $250.00 the club member rate will be assigned automatically when club member is dispatched.