Sport Pilot Training
Atlanta’s Premier Sport Pilot Training Programs
Learn to fly with sport pilot training—and do it in less time and for a lot less money!
Lanier Flight Center offers the best sport pilot training programs in the Atlanta area. Our sport pilot training can help you earn your sport pilot certification to pilot Light Sport Aircraft—which earns you the privilege to fly some of the most fun, most versatile aircraft in the sky. And the best part is, you can do it in less time and much less money than you’d spend earning your private pilot certificate.
Can’t decide between sport pilot training and pursuing an FAA pilot certification? No problem—one of the great benefits to sport pilot training is that all your flight time will transfer over to your private pilot training if you decide to go for it later on. And all you need to get started with sport pilot training is your driver’s license—that’s right, no medical exam.
Facts about Sport Pilot Training:
Sport pilot training qualifies you to pilot Light Sport Aircraft. According to the FAA, as a sport pilot, once you complete the program, you will be able to fly any light sport aircraft in category and class. At Lanier Flight Center, you’ll train in the brand new, much coveted Cessna Skycatcher!
Sport Pilot Training is a faster, easier and less expensive way to learn to fly! In fact, Sport Pilot candidates are now almost half the new enrollments at many flight schools. So go ahead and join the growing Sport Pilot Training movement!
To qualify for the Sport pilot certificate, an applicant must:
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English
- Log at least 20 hours of flight time of which at least
- 15 hours must be dual instruction with a qualified flight instructor
- 2 hours must be cross-country dual instruction
- 5 hours must be solo flight
- Fly one solo cross-country flight over a total distance of 75 or more nautical miles to two different destinations to a full-stop landing. At least one leg of this cross-country must be over a total distance of at least 25 nautical miles (46 km).
- Have received 2 hours of dual instruction in the preceding 60 days, in preparation for the Practical Test
- Pass a Knowledge (written) test
- Pass a Practical (oral and flight) test
- Have a valid US State drivers license AND not been rejected for your last Airman Medical Certificate
…or have a current 3rd class or higher Airman Medical Certificate
Sport Pilot Certificate – Minimum Estimated Costs
|Item||Prepay Rate**||Club Rate*||Walk-In Rate|
|20 Hours Flight Time in a 162 (Incl Tax)
|15 Hrs Flight Instruction||$735.00||$810.00||$885.00|
|10 Hrs Ground Instruction||$490.00||$540.00||$590.00|
|Standard Headset Rental, 20 Hrs, $5 Hr||$100.00||$100.00||$100.00|
|Cessna CBI Sport Pilot Kit (Incl Tax)||$293.80||$293.80||$352.03|
|One-time Club Membership Initiation Fee||$100.00||$100.00||–|
|One-time Insurance Sign-up Fee||$50.00||$50.00||$50.00|
|Miniumum 5 Hrs Solo Insurance Coverage||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00|
|Nine Months Estimated Monthly Club Dues
|FAA Charts, Airport Facilities Directory||$31.50||$31.50||$35.00|
|FAA Written Exam||$150.00||$150.00||$150.00|
|FAA Checkride Examiner’s Fee||$350.00||$350.00||$350.00|
|Total Cessna 162
* For more information about our club, see the Flying Club page
** Prepay discounts are offered to our club members who place a $2,500 deposit into their accounts and then maintain at least a $250.00 balance. If the account balance drops below $250.00 the club member rate will be assigned automatically when club member is dispatched.
Get started today with Sport Pilot Training from Lanier Flight Center.
Call 678-989-2395 with any questions—we’re happy to help!